The Best Pancakes Ever (The Pioneer Woman's Sour Cream Pancakes)

>> Thursday, March 24, 2011

My favorite pancakes are ones that are NOT soggy, dense, or tasteless; so basically light, fluffy, and slightly crispy on the outside--not a burned crispy, just enough to give a nice little texture.  I made these this morning, and was I surprised at how amazing they were!  I seem to use that word, amazing, a lot on this blog, but be happy, because if the said food isn't amazing, I won't write about it!

Generally speaking, sour cream pancakes scare me.  It's like I'm afraid of some gooey, messy, slightly tangy funkiness that is going to mess with my maple syrup and butter happiness (or berry syrup--I recommend Bauman Farm's marionberry from Oregon).  So you can imagine my total and utter shock at how, like I said before, AMAZING these pancakes were.

When you make this batter, it really doesn't look like much, in fact I found myself thinking I should have doubled the recipe.  But the batter doesn't run all over the skillet like other batters--it just sits there.  So this recipe actually makes 6 pancakes, using a 1/4c. of batter for each one.

This recipe is from Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl Cookbook (I would vote it the best overall cookbook of the year according to me).  Like Ree Drummond says about this recipe, don't overmix the batter or worry about it being "totally combined."  A little lumpy and bumpy works just fine.

The Pioneer Woman's Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes

Makes 6 pancakes (using 1/4 c. of batter each)
(Print this Recipe)
Ingredients:
1 c. sour cream
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or 1/4 c. and 3 Tbs.)
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
1.  Place a skillet (cast iron if you have one) on med-low heat. 
2.  In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
3.  In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla.
4.  Add the egg mixture to the flour and stir until just combined; don't worry about the lumps and bumps.
5.  Melt 1 tsp. of butter in the skillet (this is better than oil for flavor and good crunchiness.  Use a 1/4 c. of batter for your pancakes.  Make sure the skillet doesn't get too hot so that the pancakes have enough time to cook without burning. 
6.  Serve with butter and maple syrup, berry syrup, or whatever floats your boat!

0 comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP