Dijon Tarragon Salmon with Dill Butter

>> Sunday, August 16, 2009


If you are new to cooking fish, don't know where to start, or are just looking for a great recipe, then this one is for you! This recipe is VERY simple and VERY tasty. There is nothing I like less than flavorless fish! I used wild coho salmon--it has amazing flavor and a natural intense red color both before you cook it and after when you are eating it. I prefer wild salmon to farm raised because I like where the fish come from and what they feed--naturally speaking. It is definitely more expensive, but well-worth it in my opinion. For 3 fillets at my local market, I paid $11.99 total. In a pinch I will go for farm raised, but it can't even compare to the flavor of wild salmon!


At this point in time, I am not much into marinating for two reasons. First, I adore the taste of salmon without all the bells and whistles of a marinade. When too many things are added to fish, I feel like I am eating the sauce/marinade as the focus instead of the fish. Secondly, I like to be able to come home and cook things quick = the likely hood that I will take time to marinate ahead of time very small. I do love good seasoning/spreads on top that are fast, easy, and add flavor yet don't overpower the natural flavor of the fish.


From start to finish, this took me 15 minutes to prepare. Roughly 3 minutes to rinse/season the fish and get it in the oven; 9 minutes to bake (for thicker pieces 11 minutes); and 2 minutes to dish up and finish. It actually took the rice longer to cook! Food factoid: you know that the salmon is done when it springs back at you when you push on it--not with your fingers mind you, although you could--but I prefer to use the bottom of a fork or a spatula. Hard salmon means it is overcooked and DRY, and believe me, that is not so fun to eat. Moist salmon, on the other hand, will have you coming back for seconds!


Dijon Tarragon Salmon with Dill Butter
2-3 Fillets wild salmon
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Sea salt and pepper to liberally season fillets
2 Tbs. dijon mustard (about 1 Tbs. per fillet; enough to coat the top of each one)
1/2 tsp. dry Tarragon or 1 tsp. fresh

Dill Butter
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp. dry dill, or 1 tsp. fresh
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil (I like to pinch the edges together so all the juices don't run out). Rinse the salmon under cold water, wipe of excess water (or you can pat dry) and place the fillets skin-side down. Pour 1/4 tsp. lemon juice on each fillet, and then liberally season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 Tbs. of dijon mustard on top of each fillet, enough to coat. Add more if you need more. Sprinkle the top of each fillet with about 1/4 tsp. Tarragon. If you are using dry Tarragon, mash it between your fingers as you go in order to get the oils out of the spice (they may seem dryer than dry, but it's there.) Place the baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for 9-11 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.


Meanwhile, soften 1/4 cup butter in the microwave. Watch it because you don't want melted. Mince the dill on a cutting board in order to get those wonderful oils to come out and add flavor to the butter. Add the minced dill to the butter and combine. Note: you can save any remaining dill butter in the freezer.


When the salmon comes out of the oven, top it with the dill butter while the salmon is still warm, about 1 Tbs. per fillet. Serve with rice and veggies of your choice.



0 comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP